a newspaper man adjusts his pen

Tuesday, March 10, 2009

A funny, witty little movie


It was a strange low-budget vacation last week because I only went to see one movie.

I have been known to see as many as two movies a day while loafing for long stretches. It’s an addiction that I picked up early from my movieholic parents who knew every actor’s name in every Hollywood movie during the 1940s and well into the 1970s.

Even more odd, I went to see “Fanboys” rather than seek out my typical favorite, a movie with a gripping plot, heavy acting and a hard life’s lesson to be learned.

This movie directed by Kyle Newman is all about a group of “Star Wars” nerds. It's short on intellect but brilliant in how Newman picked kooky actors in bit parts to deliver subtle one-liners. Carrie Fisher, who shot to fame as Princess Leia in the original “Star Wars” trilogy, is a hoot when she briefly appears as a hospital nurse while the main characters take a road trip to the home of their favorite director, George Lucas.

Take a break from the routine, seek out this movie, laugh a lot and forget about this miserable economy, at least until the theater lights come up.

No comments: