a newspaper man adjusts his pen

Friday, June 13, 2008

My late father is hot stuff on the Web


Talk about a late bloomer. My father, James Robert Beveridge, has become hot property on the Internet more than a year after his death from old age.

The photo of him, seated at left on a car bumper while stationed during World War II in Danville, Ill., has been viewed more than 11,500 times on my photo-sharing site. It's the most popular photo, by far, among the more than 1,000 that I have posted on Flickr in the past two years.

Dad recognized his growing popularity on the Web before he died March 5, 2007, at age 84, without learning how to turn on a computer. He would get excited when I pulled up his photos on the computer at his house to show him what people on the Web were saying about him. (Now approaching 79, Mom regularly surfs the Web.)

He chuckled because young women, as well as openly gay men, had said they liked his face in another photo from the war that I dusted off and shared on the Net. That one has been viewed more than 1,000 times.

So hats off to you this Father’s Day for being the stud who still brings people to my blog.

3 comments:

Amanda Gillooly said...

I'm sure your Dad would have gotten a real kick out of this post...Happy Fathers Day to Mr. Beveridge.

Wisegeorge said...

My dad looked cool in a uniform too. My kids don't have a picture of me in a uniform because they ended the draft a few months before I was prime meat. Thank God.

Scott said...

I know what you mean. I missed the Vietnam War by two years.