a newspaper man adjusts his pen

Monday, May 21, 2007

Going home


GUEST BLOGGER: Harry Funk, who made a weekend trip to his boyhood hometown of Paxtang, Pa., a suburb of Harrisburg


Throughout much of the 1970s, I spent a lot of time at the splendid example of architecture pictured above. In one half of the duplex lived my best friend, and in the other ... well, I haven't seen her since 1977, so I can admit to her being my first big-time crush.

At any rate, none of us youngsters really appreciated the fine old homes in the neighborhood around Paxtang Avenue, the main north-south street of Paxtang Borough. Come to think of it, they probably weren't as fine when I lived there. During visits of the past several years, I've noticed concerted efforts to restore many of the residences to the grandiosity and splendor of their early days.

Paxtang is getting ready to celebrate its centennial next year, meaning the borough is likely to see an influx of visitors. In turn, those visitors will see an array of interesting and appealing architectural elements.

Click here for more scenes of Paxtang, Pa.

2 comments:

Scott said...

Interesting name for a town

Harry Funk said...

Paxtang is a variation of "Paxton," a common name around Central Pennsylvania. I think I learned the specifics about 35 years ago, but I can't remember them ...